Skip to main content

Game Design

What is a game?; a question that is surprisingly difficult to answer. It seems like such a simple question to be asked at first, but the more you think, the more complex it gets.

What I've noticed from the readings is that the game industry is very subjective. There isn't one single set of terminology to be used by everybody as the industry is far too complex for everybody to settle on a single set of terms. The reason for this is that it is highly unlikely that different areas of the gaming industry will be using the same terms, they are all so different that it is probably impossible to settle on a single set.

Like I said, it is very difficult to define a game, and when taking into account my previous point, if the industry can't settle on a single set of terms to be used, how can they settle on a single definition if they're all so different? There are probably hundreds, if not, thousands, of definitions out there for a game.

Here are a couple of examples:


  • A game has 'ends and means': and objective, an outcome and a set of rules to get there. (David Parlett)
  • A game is an activity involving player decisions, seeking objectives, withing a "limiting context" [i.e. rules]. (Clark C. Abt)
Although they are quite similar they are also very different. One definition may fit one game perfectly, but not another. No game definition is known to be perfect, I learned that all have a little imperfection in them.



A meme 'What is the meaning?'



Although the meaning of a game is extremely dynamic and subjective, I learned it is very easy to create a game, without certain skills, programs, creativity or money. Brenda Romero (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenda_Romero) is an extremely interesting person with great philosophies on game design and the fear of getting into it. The link above links to her wiki page which is very interesting.

Game design and game development are two completely different things. They are very self-explanatory, but some confuse them with each other. Design is the thought processes and defining exactly what you're going to make, whereas development is the physical (or virtual, rather) creation of the design.



Both of these links give a deeper insight into the definitions and are a nice read to just differentiate the two processes.

Overall, I've learned a lot about the industry and the complexity involved in it, and I'm ready to design some games!

BLC Blogging



Comments

  1. Hi Brian,

    Brilliant blog! You had some great insight into game design and what it is. I'm the same as you with the this reading there is so much about the industry and the complexity involved with game design but its so interesting!
    Cant wait to read more :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brian
    I really enjoyed reading your blog on your game design. I get where you are coming from on the amount of reading as it can be a lot to take in at once what I have started doing in my reading blogs is typing out key points as I read as i feel it is a lot easier to memorize more about them in the long run . I will agree however that the game design is very subjective but I feel with there not being on definitive terminology it adds more variety and uniqueness to the games overall. I really enjoyed reading your blog.All the best

    -Dillon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brian,

    This was a really good post. Your explanation of the readings was great and especially your point about how each definition for a game has a little bit of imperfection in it. I thought that was an excellent point. I'm glad that reading about the world of game design has inspired you enough that you're ready to get creating your own game.

    -Casper :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey again Brian!

    You have a really great blog I must say!

    Reading your thoughts on game design has now opened my eyes to a new perception on what a game actually is and, for this, I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

    Keep up the amazing work with these blogerinos xD and I can't wait to read more.

    Bye for now,

    James.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Web Developer.

Hey! This post is a little bit less of the 'fun talk' than discussing my favorite game, but it will still be very interesting. I will be discussing ME! Nothing too personal, I will be focusing on the professional side of my everyday life. At the moment, college takes up most of my time, as you would expect. I am currently in my second year of study in Creative Digital Media and so far, I'm loving it! We aren't really too long into Second Year for me to give a fully-fledged opinion on it, but I can definitely share my thoughts from First Year.  First Year was hands-down the quickest year of my life. It is crazy how different your life feels when starting in a completely different environment, especially after coming straight from secondary school, like I did. When you're finally studying and working on something that you want to be doing, you have fun and time really does fly. I definitely know that I'm in the right course. My favorite thing about

Alpha

So, I've managed to complete the three levels that I hoped to complete. I have added a skybox to the levels also, and have changed the color of the text on-screen (the coin-counter) from black to white, as the black text blended in with the background. My Own Screenshot Of The Updated First Level One issue I'm having is with the materials and textures. I have no idea what's happening with them. All materials are now showing up as the default plain white (they have a pink hue in the screenshot due to the skybox), and it won't allow me to add the textures or materials that I intended to use, and that were used in my first playable. Also, when you play the game, and progress to another level, this happens: My Own Screenshot Of Level 2 For some reason, the hue then changes to kind of a beige color. This only happens when you begin on a certain level and progress to another one during gameplay. If I were to begin gameplay on Level 2, for exampl

Game Brainstorm

My brainstorming session has gone a bit better than I expected. I've come up with some interesting ideas that I think will be quite fun to experiment with and create. 1. A horror game. 2. A mystery game. 3. A maze game. 4. An obstacle-course game. Although I don't play games, and barely ever have, I feel like I have some fun ideas for games to create. A Horror Game: I'm a big fan of horror movies, so this is where my inspiration for this idea has been drawn from. The idea in my mind is a character, completely lost and confused in a field of some sort, they start to explore and find paths to follow. On these paths, they find items that trigger memories about why they're there and how they got lost. They eventually arrive at a barn, where they explore some more and find unrecognizable corpses around the area. They then get hit over the head with something, wake up with fully realized memories and an instinct to escape. (I haven't fully developed the story bu