Skip to main content

First Playable

Hi!

So, I've caught up on what I could on Unity. I've completed the necessary tutorials and have my first playable level complete!

So the 'Maze Game' as it is, is quite basic as it's only the first level of the game, but I've successfully completed all of the mechanics that were needed in order for my game to function and from here on out it will be a lot easier to create more challenging levels as I have completed the hard parts, so I only need to expand the levels from now on.


My own screenshot of my first playable.

This is where the playable begins. The capsule is the 'player' and the objective is to collect all of the coins. The coins spin to signify that they are an item to be collected. 


My own screenshot of my first playable.

The counter at the top of the screen reduces the number as the coins are collected. I thought a counter would be a better option than a score as it shows completion.


My own screenshot of my first playable.

Once all coins are collected, a door appears which is a portal to the next level. I decided to make it bright green to really make it stand out so the player doesn't miss it, and also green (according to a study on the psychology of color in gaming) is a suggestion of success.


My own screenshot of my first playable.

I then edited the door's collider and expanded it larger than the door's shape itself so that is was actually possible for the player to enter to collide. This then transports them to the next level. (currently empty).

Overall, I've spent a lot of time working on this first playable (nearly 5 hours) but it was worth it because I am happy with the final result and I'm excited to complete the game!

BLC Blogging.

Comments

  1. Hi Brian,
    I'm glad that you got the chance to catch up on your unity. Its good that you were able to get the necessary tutorials to be able to make your first playable game. A maze game sounds cool and from looking at the screenshots it looks like it runs well. If i was to make any suggestions it would be maybe in one of the levels you could have the capsule try and dodge moving objects, maybe if the player hits off the moving objects the player will have to restart the level. I think its cool that you got the coins to spin and i think it shows the skill level you are at which is very good. I think its great that you put a coin counter to show how many coins are in the level. I didn't know the psychology in the colour green is for gaming thats a fun little fact. Anyway Brian good blog I enjoyed reading it and the best of luck with the game.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Web Developer.

Hey! This post is a little bit less of the 'fun talk' than discussing my favorite game, but it will still be very interesting. I will be discussing ME! Nothing too personal, I will be focusing on the professional side of my everyday life. At the moment, college takes up most of my time, as you would expect. I am currently in my second year of study in Creative Digital Media and so far, I'm loving it! We aren't really too long into Second Year for me to give a fully-fledged opinion on it, but I can definitely share my thoughts from First Year.  First Year was hands-down the quickest year of my life. It is crazy how different your life feels when starting in a completely different environment, especially after coming straight from secondary school, like I did. When you're finally studying and working on something that you want to be doing, you have fun and time really does fly. I definitely know that I'm in the right course. My favorite thing about

Alpha

So, I've managed to complete the three levels that I hoped to complete. I have added a skybox to the levels also, and have changed the color of the text on-screen (the coin-counter) from black to white, as the black text blended in with the background. My Own Screenshot Of The Updated First Level One issue I'm having is with the materials and textures. I have no idea what's happening with them. All materials are now showing up as the default plain white (they have a pink hue in the screenshot due to the skybox), and it won't allow me to add the textures or materials that I intended to use, and that were used in my first playable. Also, when you play the game, and progress to another level, this happens: My Own Screenshot Of Level 2 For some reason, the hue then changes to kind of a beige color. This only happens when you begin on a certain level and progress to another one during gameplay. If I were to begin gameplay on Level 2, for exampl

Game Brainstorm

My brainstorming session has gone a bit better than I expected. I've come up with some interesting ideas that I think will be quite fun to experiment with and create. 1. A horror game. 2. A mystery game. 3. A maze game. 4. An obstacle-course game. Although I don't play games, and barely ever have, I feel like I have some fun ideas for games to create. A Horror Game: I'm a big fan of horror movies, so this is where my inspiration for this idea has been drawn from. The idea in my mind is a character, completely lost and confused in a field of some sort, they start to explore and find paths to follow. On these paths, they find items that trigger memories about why they're there and how they got lost. They eventually arrive at a barn, where they explore some more and find unrecognizable corpses around the area. They then get hit over the head with something, wake up with fully realized memories and an instinct to escape. (I haven't fully developed the story bu